St Clare’s College Board provides the opportunity for members of the school, and the wider Archdiocesan community, to support the mission of Catholic education at St Clare’s College. Working with the Chaplain, Principal and staff, Board members provide leadership to the school community.
The Board has a decision-making role in certain policy areas and an advisory role in others. The policies of the school are always set within the wider mission of Catholic education. In the areas where it has responsibility for the development and monitoring of policy the Board operates within the policy and procedures determined by the Catholic Education Commission and the Catholic Education Office.
The Board has several sub-committees including the Works and Maintenance Committee which oversees the long-term planning of building and other works and general maintenance issues. There is also a Fees Concession Committee which considers requests for assistance with school fees. Both these committees include the Principal, the Bursar and at least one parent representative.
The College Board is made up of parent and staff representatives as well as the College Chaplain. When a vacancy for a parent representative arises, expressions of interest are called for via the College Newsletter.
Selection Process for Parent Representatives on College Board
When a vacancy for a parent representative on the College Board occurs, it will be publicised in the College Newsletter, Tidings, which is distributed to all families. Parents seeking consideration for a place on the College Board will be asked to send in an expression of interest to the Principal which addresses the following:
i) Knowledge of and commitment to the Catholic school ethos
ii) Relevant expertise and interests that will enhance the functioning of the Board
iii) Previous experience in Catholic school-related organizations or activities
iv) Skills and experience in financial management.
The Principal and the Chair of the College Board will make the decision on the successful candidate/s. In making their decision, they will take into account the applicants’ responses to the above and other factors including gender balance on the Board, representation from different parts of the College community and special skills or experience that each person could bring to the work of the Board.
- The Chair of the College Board will respond in writing to all applicants to tell them the outcome of the deliberations.
- Following the selection of the parent representative, an announcement will be made in the College Newsletter.
2017 College Board Members
- Stephen Kelly (Parent Representative – Board Chair)
- Adrian Armitage (Parent Representative – Board Deputy Chair)
- Brad Cooney (Principal and Executive Officer of the College Board)
- Lynore Clarkson (College Executive)
- Julie Fitzgerald (College Executive)
- Sharyn Quirk (College Executive)
- Lisa Summerville (Staff Representative)
- Tracey Carroll (Parent Representative)
- Eric Hummer (Parent Representative)
- Kim Osmond (Parent Representative)
- Phillip O’Brien (Parent Representative)
- Alison Wallace (Parent Representative)
- Mons John Woods (Chaplain and Ex-officio Member)